19 May 2014

home


San Diego. Still adjusting to life back here. Strangely almost feels like I never left. But I'm thoroughly enjoying the warm sunshine, jasmine perfumed air, hoards of hummingbirds around the yard, and just being with everyone I missed. Finally cooked something for myself in our kitchen today, and now it really does feel like I'm truly back home. When I went shopping for groceries a day or two ago, I was overwhelmingly pleased to see all the gorgeous green spring things still in stock. So I came home with a lot of it. Kale, spinach, broccoli, peas, leeks, edamame, avocados, beans, herbs, you name it. If it was green, into my cart in went. And tonight a lot of that went into my dinner. A super simple but super tasty pasta with some broccoli and avocado pesto. I threw it together, piled it into my favorite bowl, and sat down to enjoy it with a big bouquet of peonies in front of me. Couldn't have been better. And I do still have lots to share from my last days in Australia, but I'm afraid you'll have to give me your patience, it's just too weird to look at it all right now. But perhaps I'll start showing you around my hometown!





If you're so inclined to make your own bowl of green goodness, here's how:
Steam some broccoli until it's bright in color and just tender. Toss into a food processor with some garlic, parmesan, pine nuts, a good handful of basil, a ripe avocado, a splash of lemon juice (I got to use one from our new tree!) and some olive oil. Pulse that all into a delicious pesto, then toss with pasta, or any kind of grain, or spread in sandwiches, or just eat it straight! Broccoli pesto is there for whatever you want to do! I had mine with some gluten-free corn penne and fresh peas. Perfect. 

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find the gluten free pasta? And was it good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious and from Trader Joe's, of course!

      Delete