21 March 2014

away we go

Well hello! My apologies for the absence of posts this week, I've just not been up to sitting down and editing pictures, writing something up, and putting it all up here. I love documenting my adventures and everyday life here, and sharing it all with you, but sometimes it just feels like an extra job and I need a little break. But now I'm back, and with fun things to share!
First up: meet Gael and Danny.



They of Camp Daylesford (or Kilmaley as I've come to learn is its name) and remarkably warm, generous hearts. I did some more house-sitting for them a while ago, and enjoyed many more days in the garden with the hens and Toulouse.






When they arrived back in town, Gael showered me with gifts, including the wonderful dress I'm wearing here, and mentioned that she and Danny were heading into Melbourne that night for a Pete Seeger tribute concert in which Danny was performing. I commented that I loved Pete Seeger, and then before I knew it, I was packing a bag and being whisked off to the city for the concert. Gael, Danny, their welcoming friends Kris and Uli and I all enjoyed a beautiful dinner on the river, then walked to Federation Square for the concert.



Fed Square is a great big communal space of theaters, shops, restaurants, and an open-air plaza. I just love it. The theater we found ourselves in was a gorgeous building of glass walls that let in the glow of the sunset and afforded us views of the trees beyond. Just stunning. The concert was tremendous, a gathering of talented musicians and devoted fans there to celebrate one man's deliberate, meaningful life and sing along to some of his greatest songs. The love and joy was palpable, it was truly overwhelming. After the concert we headed back to Kris' beautiful Victorian home, and tucked in for the night.





The next day we all had breakfast at a delicious cafe, then Danny was off to take care of some business while Gael and I headed to the Melbourne museum. Wow. The first thing we explored was the rainforest gallery. A veritable slice of heaven. Towering trees, lush ferns, a stream feeding a waterfall, trilling birds, and all kinds of displays of fish, amphibians and reptiles. All indoors. I was taken from the instant we stepped in. We meandered our way through, stopping to admire the plants and animals, and even getting a show from a bowerbird collecting things for its nest and dancing around. Next was an exhibit about Aboriginal stories, arts, artifacts, legends and modern-day connections. The displays were a bit stale, but the material was interesting and the art really beautiful. I'm definitely a museum junkie, and this was a perfect way to spend the morning. After that it was off to Brunetti, a fantastic cafe, a quick look around a few bookshops, then back home to Daylesford. A quick, fun, lovely trip. And a lesson in saying yes to every opportunity. Get out of your routine, make new friends, see new places, shake it up! Taking that to heart.











1 comment:

  1. Looks like someplace I'd like to go....and even before I saw the comment about you getting the dress as a present, I was thinking it was cute. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete