12 December 2013

picnic at hanging rock

Yes. Really. It was surreal. Fantastic. Outlandish. Divine. The men were heading to Woodend to spend the day doing some paid work for a friend of Sarah's, and I tagged along to explore. I mean, how often do you get the opportunity to step into one of your favorite books? The day was perfect for an adventure, comfortably warm but with a nice cloud cover and strong winds. Couldn't have asked for more theatrical weather to accompany my exploration of the rock.  Walked the two kilometers along a two lane country highway, smelling the flowers, watching the local livestock, and making a daisy chain to busy my excited hands. Finally made it to the site, and was surprised at how developed it was. Sprawling fields for picnics and sports (and a huge Irish family gathering complete with tartan-decked men), and a little cafe and visitor center. Stopped at the cafe to buy a scone and actually have something to picnic with on the rock, then started up. Followed the winding path through jurassic-feeling thickets of ferns and trees, seeing the spires through all the greenery, then suddenly found myself staring up the many faces of the rock. Truly breathtaking. Began hiking up and just couldn't believe how alien the whole place seemed. Almost like being surrounded by giant stalagmites, with smooth hollows carved into them, and little bits of greenery finding ways to thrive in minuscule cracks in the rock face. As I climbed, all the crowds of people that were on the lower fields and paths started disappearing, and by the time I made it to the summit, I was completely alone. Just walked around, did a little climbing, and tried to discover as much as I could of the place. It's very easy to see how so many myths and mysteries have been inspired by this place, and I could see how very easy it would be to lose yourself there. My sense of direction was completely thrown, and I kept finding myself at new spots, facing another direction than the one I thought I'd come upon, and by the time I started to descend, I had spent over two hours wandering around those famous spires. Felt like five minutes. Absolutely loved the place and the experience, and will always remember this as one of the best days of my stay in Australia, and in my life.

The rock from a distance. Didn't even notice the 619 on the fencepost until after I took the picture. What's up San Diego?!




That tiny climber was the only other person I saw at the very top past this vista. He kept appearing in front, beside, behind, above me. 



The flora kept reminding me of one of my favorite movies- Labyrinth
Quick break in one of the myriad caves




Underneath the actual namesake Hanging Rock
Out of focus but- scone picnic!

3 comments:

  1. Looks neat. What book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picnic At Hanging Rock! Have you really never heard of it?? Amazing book and an ok movie. An Australian classic, think you'd like it. Reminds me a bit of Northanger Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard of the book either, so thanks for filling me in. Also, from a distance, the rock looks like a hill, all covered in greenery. Who knew? Not me! Thanks for the education. Hugs and kisses, your Mom

    ReplyDelete