07 September 2013

adk


Pine-scented air, sunlight filtering through the trees, fresh lake water, myriad bugs and critters all around. The highlight of every summer.
Really attempted to soak it all in this year, as it might be a year or more until I get back again.


This year also included a quick visit to Long Island to meet a new little cousin. Driving past farms big and small, quick pockets of civilization, then finally catching a ferry to Shelter Island, and another to Sag Harbor.
Of course once we reached Sag Harbor we were off again for a day of exploring. First to Amagansett, then on to Montauk. And through every little town in between. The east coast beach culture is shockingly different from the west I'm so used to. Incredibly preppy and perfectly manicured, not a hair out of place. Even the surfers in Montauk seemed inappropriately formal to me. But all said, it was still entertaining to see.

Summer color at a roadside stand

Taking a quick break from the car at Sagamore Hill


On top on the Montauk lighthouse





Dipping our toes in the Atlantic

Finally we made it up to camp, and the welcome comfort of home. 
There's really not much I can say about the Adirondacks other than it's where my heart belongs. 
Peaceful, beautiful, natural, and verdant beyond words. 
Took the time one day to jog a hike on my own, and it was just perfect. Listening to birds overhead, watching butterflies float by, spotting ridiculous-looking mushrooms anywhere and everywhere, anticipating seeing the water after hearing it lap against the shore and knowing it's so close by. I even had the pleasure of coming upon two deer, and probably terrified the poor things with my sudden appearance and intense staring. 


Wild blueberries

The beginning of my hike



I need this kind of green in my life


Made in the ADK and coming to Australia

Last stop of the trip was Manhattan. A whirlwind tour for someone who had never been before.
World Trade Center Memorial, the boardwalk along Battery Park, Central Park for Strawberry Fields, the Natural History Museum, then to TriBeCa for dinner with the family.
The whole trip was a bit rushed, but I'm glad that we got to see everyone and made it to so many places. I know I'll be storing the whole thing mentally and recalling the sights, sounds, smells, and feel of my favorite place when I'm abroad. Already anxious to get back, but Australia should be more than worth the wait.

Central Park

Natural History Museum

Strawberry Fields

No comments:

Post a Comment