05 September 2013

night out


Last Wednesday B and I made the trek to La Jolla with plans of going to a book signing. It had been on my calendar for quite a while. A meet and greet with Theron and Maddie of Maddie On Things.
Well, we went. And we got there early. So we took a little walk around. Found some pretty entertaining sculptures, watched the sun go down over the ocean, then ran into Theron and Maddie on our way back to the book store. I stopped and introduced myself, we all had a quick chat, then B and I headed down to the store to wait for the real thing to begin.
Funny thing though. Having already met the duo and getting a minute to talk, no pressure, no line of waiting fans behind me, I didn't have any real desire to stay. I mean, we had already met Maddie! What could be more exciting? We stood outside and watched her come bounding down the sidewalk, all crazy energy and joy. A completely surprising revelation to witness after knowing her only through all those serene, still photographs. We left just as everyone else inside was getting to see her dart past their legs.
We ended the night back in East county, grabbing a quick order of sweet potato fries and some fresh juice at our favorite establishment, Swami's. (Go now if you haven't been yet. Everything is scrumptious, everyone is nice, and every day is a little brighter after sipping on an Iron Horse.)
No, we didn't exactly stick to the plans we had in mind, but I think the night was better for it. Mellow, undemanding, delicious. Just what I'd like my entire life to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment