01 September 2013

young american



Alright. Besides being blatantly self-aware, this blog title is also a tribute to my favorite song, Young Americans, by the one and only, incomparable, irreplaceable, David Bowie. It also symbolizes everything that I'm (somewhat) looking to leave behind. My life and everything in it might as well have been handed to me on a platinum platter for all that I've done to earn it. I've spent my entire "adult" life so far with no ambition, no direction, and seeing no use for my talents and curiosity. My Australian adventure is the perfect catalyst for a new outlook. This isn't just taking me to a new city, state, or even country. It's a whole new, and foreign, hemisphere. 
The process of setting up to move myself and my restless mind to the other side of the world has filled me with a genuine hope for the future. For finding some good use for my love of everything creative, from digging a new garden bed to revising an essay. Why shouldn't I cook for new friends, learn more from my camera, fill my wardrobe with things that I truly love, because they were made by and for me? Why did it take so long to realize that a simpler way of living, for experiences and relationships, instead of rampant consumerism, is what brings me the most happiness? The inner voice I've been blindly trusting in was completely lost. This new direction comes from outside myself, from people I do and don't know, from things they've taught me and things I've sought out for myself. It feels as if the world is mine, just patiently waiting to be discovered. And what great fun it looks to be. 
So, all quarter-life crisis musings aside, I am now declaring myself a citizen of the world, belonging everywhere and nowhere. Or, to make it easier, you can just call me a Pangean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment