06 April 2014

cross country

This is the second of whole school, compulsory sports events I've been to here. The first was "swimming sports" and this time it was cross country. The whole of the primary school gathers, and every kid participates in the sports. It's so odd to me, coming from a background of selective/elective sports, and I'm just amazed at the whole thing. We congregated at a field (something else strange, cross country isn't run on a track...), the kids lined up in small groups, and then off they went. I'm not sure how many laps they were required to do, but it was about 1.5-2 miles in total, meandering through the surrounding bush. The start and finish lines were up front, but the rest of the route? Who knows! Another wild, typical Australian experience to witness.
P.S. My camera's battery died promptly after we arrived, but I had my trusty iPhone to take over. Not the best quality, but still a good glimpse at the day


Pasca was already off and running by the time I got there, look at her go! Our freshly minted 11 year old


The kids who finished their races grouped in the middle of the field, chatting and playing and getting over the misery of school sports


A group of girls, including Blossom, lining up to start


And they're off!


They made me want to chase them and go for a run myself right then. Good job girls

1 comment:

  1. My DOD schools did the same thing, we had track and field day and everyone had to participate. Never my favorite day as a kid!

    ReplyDelete