20 April 2014

day one

The girls and I found a perfect post outside Parliament House

So here we are in Canberra. The first thing we did on this full day was to visit Parliament House. It's the perfect example of Australia's mentality. Oh so extremely casual. Yes, there was a quick security screening before we were let loose in the building, but apparently they didn't mind that I always carry (and just forgot to take out) a rather lethal little knife in my bag. Oh well! After that surprise, it was on to the great hall, then upstairs to see the Senate chambers and the House of Representatives. It was a free day, but if the elected officials happen to be sitting that day, anyone can enter the gallery and watch. And then even stay for "Question Time"! How insane is that?? Really, some of you American citizens will surely share my amazement at just how relaxed everything is. After taking that all in, it was on to Questacon for Papa and the girls, and the National Gallery for me. The basin is rimmed with galleries, museums and such, and it was a perfect day for walking around. Reminded me a lot of D.C.'s own basin, just maybe...less majestic? It's hard to compare a metropolitan capital like that with Australia's "bush capital". But both completely beautiful in their own ways.


The hall we entered into on the ground floor. All marble and very sparse. 

The Great Hall, again very much undecorated. I'm so used to seeing ornate moldings and such on American and European buildings of importance, and have to remind myself that Australia as a nation is younger even than the U.S., and Canberra itself is even more recently established, so the architectural "trends" are vastly different

The upstairs had a miniature display of Australian art. Loved these two tapestries

And of course, in a place of importance among portraits of past Prime Ministers, was Her Majesty the Queen.


The girls and I in the Senate Hall

The House of Representatives was déjà vu in blue

The gorgeous scenery as we walked to Questacon

I loved these black swans that were so abundant on the lake, and was brave enough to get a picture with them (after so many pictures through the years like the next one)

My sister and I fleeing in fear from geese at Lake Cuyamaca

Still can't get enough of the fall colors around



An avenue of flags we walked down, I got excited to see the stars and stripes


This wonderful outdoor piece welcomed me to the gallery. No pictures were allowed inside, but I snuck a few anyway. It was a truly wonderful place, and I was overwhelmed by Pollock's Blue Poles, perhaps the gallery's most famous work






1 comment:

  1. Those two tapestries are beautiful! Love the photo of you girls fleeing the geese...they are snippy! The green and purple canvas reminds me of some art work done by your cousin Theresa, in Washington DC. Maybe you need to visit her to see it!

    ReplyDelete