03 April 2014

treat yo'self


Been feeling particularly homesick lately, think its the fact that my time here is running out so quickly now. I'm sick at the thought of leaving Daylesford, but insanely excited to be back in San Diego. Pretty tricky. Took a little time the last few days to treat myself to a few indulgences, namely- a whole slew of publications and a nice breakfast at a beautiful cafe by the fireside. I take the time to catch up on world and American news most every day, but it's nice every now and then to pick up an Australian paper. They seem so...casual? Maybe it's the small population, or the fact that major news stories discussing politics and such would get to be repetitive really quickly, but it seems like the major focus is put on local issues and people and dealings. And they're mostly short-form. I flip through them so quickly, looking for a real meaty story to spend a few minutes on, and it just doesn't happen. I find myself being caught up on what's happening in such and such suburb of Melbourne, one man's medical mishaps, little things. And I just realized what I think is missing: international news. They just don't seem to cover any. Oh well. That's what the internet is for, right? And so CNN is my bedtime ritual now.
Didn't mean for this to turn into a critique of Australia's journalism, but there it is. And I hope you can recognize the title of the post from an aspirational TV character. Everyone deserves a "treat yo'self" day every now and again!

2 comments:

  1. Nice bowl of oatmeal there.... :-) Don't worry, every country pretty much just covers what's happening in their own country. It's up to you to look outside the box and find out more. Done well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessarily, but I think the U.S. papers and news report on world issues because we're always butting in and getting involved. Australia, not so much. Just an interesting cultural observation.

      Delete