01 April 2014

more music

Attended another orchestral performance in town, this time by the Zelman Memorial Symphony Orchestra. The program was titled "Drama, Energy and Colour" and definitely lived up to it. Featuring Mozart, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, it was simply superb. I'm always amazed at the musical signatures of great composers such as these three, even without having learned about their compositions, it's so easy to distinguish between them. Some things just sound "so Tchaikovsky", or Beethoven, that you can't help but think of all the rest of their works. I left feeling energized, happy, and somewhat dazed. Went out for a coffee with a nice guy I met at the concert, then took a circuitous route home to enjoy all the fall colors that are appearing around town and in the gardens. Also did my fair share of stomping through crisp leaves in my official "fancy" shoes (having one of everything makes life so much simpler!), and recreated a classic picture from years ago. Don't know if it was the fact that I had my hair off my face and those favorite earrings on again, but it just seemed like the thing to do. And made me extremely excited for warm summer days at Saranac Lake. So many conflicting feelings over the current seasons here in Australia and back in the states!

Some of the very best fall colors are right at Hightor!




Even the bark on some of the trees feels festive


New version, with some fantastic refracted light...


...and the old one, a perfect summer day


                                                         

Here's the program if you'd like a listen. Classical music makes every day a little better in my humble opinion.

1 comment:

  1. Love those fall colors! Wonder if they'll still be around next month? Thanks too for the suggestion of your music list above, but did you know I can only stand to listen to classical music when I have a headache?? Otherwise I go kind of crazy...wonder what's wrong with me??

    ReplyDelete