27 February 2014

honey beer bread


Oh my stars. Sarah's birthday is coming up, and we're planning a grand high tea. While flipping through the little recipe book I brought with me, I came across this one. It's so simple, so delicious, and I had completely forgotten about it. I was super stoked to find it again. Started making the dough at about 10 o'clock last night because I just couldn't contain my excitement. About five minutes later there were some delectable muffins baking away (we don't have a loaf pan, and it was a happy experiment to see them turn out so well this way), and I had a silent kitchen to do a little reading in. Great end to the night, and the muffins were a great start to the next day. I had one with my afternoon tea, cut in two, toasted, with some local honey drizzled on top. Divine. Do yourself a favor and make this soon. In a loaf pan, it bakes up to be the best toast you'll ever make yourself, and in muffin form? Maybe even better. Also, I used a pilsner, but any beer works. I've done it before with everything from a hefeweizen, to a really dark stout. Whatever you have on hand, go for it!

You'll need:

3 cups of flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons honey, warmed
1 can of beer, 12 ounces (if you're using a bottle with more beer than the recipe calls for-lucky you, finish it off)
.25 cups of unsalted butter, melted


-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
-Grease a loaf pan, or line a muffin tin (mine has six large cups) with parchment paper
-Stir together all ingredients except the butter
-Pour half the butter into the bottom of the loaf pan/muffin cups, then add the batter (which is exceedingly fun to work with-spongy, clingy, moist, stretchy, just you wait), and top with the remaining butter
-Pop in the oven to bake, about 50 minutes, stay in the kitchen and enjoy the heavenly aroma
-Let cool for a few minutes before tearing in if you'd like to avoid burns on your hands/mouth. If not, dive right in!

P.S. Timothy, who is wary of any food not obviously Italian, just shouted at me that these muffins were "The shit! Yeah!". And Elisa asked for the recipe. Everybody wins.


Late night baking might be my favorite thing to do


Yummmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment