03 February 2014

musical monday


Wow. What a night. First of all, after a few brutally hot days, yesterday was nice and cool and windy. And even some little rain showers. I'm starting to gain back my strength and will to live (only slightly joking), and just in time. Daylesford has been plastered with signs for a philharmonic performance for the last month or so, and on a whim I bought a ticket. Great decision. My dad, sister and I regularly attend the San Diego Symphony, and I didn't realize just how much I missed the overwhelming beauty of live classical music until this company came to town. When the time came, I dressed up, put on a little makeup (felt strange to break out the mascara after a few months of ignoring it!), and headed out into the evening. Walked down the hill through the gardens, and thoroughly enjoyed letting the now truly strong winds play around with my hair and loose top. The concert was held in one of the churches in Daylesford (there are quite a few, I'll have to tell you about them later), and the crowd was wonderful to see. The director gifted me a program after a little chat ($2 saved is $2 earned!), and I found a pew to settle into. Can't even describe the playing, but it was exactly what I needed. The music was beautiful, the playing superb, and the wind was really picking up outside, making its own dramatic soundtrack and shaking the building. It felt so perfect to be sheltered in the church with the music while the storm raged outside. At one point the wind was so loud and wild and threatening, and the music was building to a climax, I just had to smile and try to suppress a laugh. In my grin, I caught the eye of one of the players and he smiled a big smile back. It was hilarious. At the intermission, spotted my friend Fiona, and she and I had a lovely chat. We ended up being a very international group of friends, Fiona is Scottish, and another friend of hers who joined us is from Denmark. And all of us just happened to be gathered in Daylesford together. Magical. The concert continued, and I was truly sorry when they prepared to play the last piece. But the audience was so appreciative and vocally thankful that they came back out for an encore. And my was that amazing. All this to say that I had an incredible night and felt that the music was the perfect tonic to get me back to feeling healthy. In the end, I was pushed back up the hill by the wind, waltzed a little in the moonlight, and arrived home happy and content.



And here's the program in case you want a listen. Trust me, you do. Have to send out many thanks to the Chamber Philharmonia Cologne for a flawless evening. See them if you ever get the chance!


                                                    

4 comments:

  1. Did hearing that music make you want to take up violin again? It might be more fun now as an adult, where you wouldn't have to put on a show, and you could do it just for your own enjoyment. You played the violin wonderfully for that little bit of time that you had it....seeing that list above makes me want to hear you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not particularly. But I've really been having the urge to learn to ride horses lately. No idea where its coming from!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's interesting!! Especially after your stint at the horse (ranch? camp?) we went to in Bonsall. Remember that? I thought you'd never even want to look at a horse again, much less climb on one and ride it! Guess who else in the family loves to ride horses? Helen Harnisch. And of course Aunt Kate, since she owned two horses when she was growing up. And me, but you knew that! Maybe we can do that when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm still slightly terrified of them after that camp, but riding looks like so much fun! I would love it if we could do some together in SD.

      Delete