15 October 2013

all is full of love

Myself, Pasca, and a friend Blossom on a spa date after school one day

Where to begin?!
The past week has been truly incredible. Let's start with Daylesford and my new life here. Living with Sarah (mom), Darius (14), Benson (11), and Pasca (10). And Shadow, Neo (two border collies), Stanley the axolotl, two guinea pigs, and Oscar the cat. Incredible family. Sarah is an anthropologist in the midst of writing her doctorate thesis, trying to raise three kids, and keep up the yard and gorgeous, mid-19th century house that is a veritable museum of Papuan art and artifacts. Her husband Robert is unfortunately gone most of the time for his work overseas, but we're hoping to see him at Christmas. To let you know just how perfect this placement is: a recipe she had bookmarked in a new cookbook (that I had been thumbing through at Anthropologie in L.A. just before leaving) was one of the few that I had written down in a little recipe book I brought along, the house used to be a B&B going by the name of my favorite book, A Room With a View. And that's just a taste. I'm already cuddling with the kids before bed, getting acquainted all of Sarah's friends, enjoying cooking up a storm, working in the terraced garden, and on the colder, rainier days helping out and having fun by cleaning around the house. Which isn't really cleaning at all when all you're doing is handling amazing art, listening to great music, and having conversations about everything and anything.
Sarah also studied psychology (as did I),  and has an array of artistic friends. Being, Daylesford is basically a giant artist community. I really don't have enough positive words to describe this place and the amazing people. The first word that comes to mind is gorgeous. Literally. Every person I've been introduced to, and who has introduced themselves to me ("Welcome to Daylesford! See you at the pub!") has been incredibly beautiful. The stone mason working on a wall outside the house is apparently the local Adonis. Women literally can't look at him and carry on talking, they rejoice when he grows a beard because it somewhat distracts from his features. But still not enough to stop them twittering.
So that's the beginning of all the wonderful things I have to say about Daylesford. There's also something even better going on. Actually met someone incredible a while ago and am starting an Aussie love life. His name is Brian, he's a few years older, and Irish. Love that accent. Unfortunately he's now about 16 hours away in Newcastle, NSW, but it's all good. We're both committed to a gypsy, transient lifestyle right now and aren't fazed by any of this. Yay! How is this much happiness, and this amount of blessings fair? I don't know, but I will never complain or doubt any of it.
Hope you're having a great day, wherever you are, and sending you my love!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you found your best fit on earth! I'm happy for you! You never know where your adventures will take you, I'm glad you had the courage to step off and go see the world. Thanks for sharing your adventures with all of us. Much love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feels that way to me, too! Thanks for raising us to be curious, explorative people, and making it all possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you didn't mind me taking you on all those long trips when you were young....since I still love to travel, I'm glad you do too! And please read your email, I tried to call but it wouldn't go through. Boo hoo. Hope to have a box ready soon for you!

    ReplyDelete