10 October 2013

bondi beach

Ready. Set. Tan.

Previously noted: I ♥ Bondi. Truly. Madly. Deeply. And please tell me someone recognizes that 90s throwback!
Slept in until about 8, then walked up the street to the organic grocer. Had a banana chai smoothie for breakfast, and picked up an apple, banana, and bottle of amazing peach-apricot kombucha to feast on at the beach. And that's where I stayed for the next 6 hours. When I first walked onto the sand just after 8, it was nearly empty. Though the water was chock full of surfers. By the time I left around 2, it was the other way around. There were so many people laying out, building sand castles, practicing tai chi, there was barely enough room to pick up my things and head out without throwing sand all over someone. The beach itself is quite small, though truly beautiful. A short crescent of light sand, bookended by cliffs and reef.
It was amazing to sit and watch the surfers, listen to the locals, and watch the onslaught of tourists try to take pictures in and around the water without soaking themselves. One large group of Asian men were prancing around in full business suits! And I'm sorry to say I overheard some Americans complaining about the overall European vibe (read: clothing optional and men in Speedos). Really, if the sun is shining and the waves are crashing, what can you fault at the beach?
There was synchronized, laughter-inducing apple-eating with the girl laying out next to me. Several conversations with surfers, mostly about their desire to get to San Diego and it's environs for some Beach Boys style surfing. Plenty of kids running around with their bare bums out. And just a general air of conviviality. A genuinely lovely day.
After washing all the sand off, I was ever the party-pooper due to having an extremely early wake up call to catch my train to Melbourne. Took myself out to an early dinner and had a wonderful Balinese curry and salad. And some sticky date pudding for dessert. Love sticky puddings! Walked it all off around town, and found that once you get off the main streets full of shops and restaurants, Bondi looks pretty much like the version of New Orleans at DisneyLand. Imposing almost beaux-arts style houses all lined up, shadowed by huge trees. Not bad at all. Also popular: old stained glass windows, and plumeria trees. They were everywhere! Haven't seen so many, and so huge, since Hawaii. Impressive.
And my favorite thing about this wonderful town, besides the beautiful beach, is the beach walk. A winding, sometimes steep, always precarious path carved into the cliffs. It goes on for about six miles apparently. I only did about one mile before it started getting too dark for comfort (don't want to lose your footing on this!). But man alive, was it jaw-dropping.

Beach feast. And a terrifying sci-fi read from the hostel library
Hello!
You can never have enough surfers

There's also a great place called Icebergs on the beach. A fun restaurant, bar, and swim club. I loved their sea-pool. They always make me think of a happy few days spent in St. Malo, France when I was 16. Le mieux!


The night's forever young, it's us that gets old
At a lovely sculpture garden on top of the cliffs


Plumeria and stained glass. Killer combo.
Just an eye-catching cactus. Little bit of pretty.



Looming rocks hanging over the path

Breath-taking view on the beach walk
Stopping to take it all in
Graceful lines in the cliff face

I'm sad that I didn't have more time here, but now that I know how wonderful Bondi is, I'll definitely be planning a stopover next year. Or possibly sooner if the opportunity arises! Friendly, welcoming, accepting, all with the constant soundtrack of the waves? I'm addicted.
And not to mention the beautiful hostel I stayed in. Reserved a private room (I am carrying my entire life with me, and want to be as safe as possible), but enjoyed spending time with everyone there. Morning tea on the roof deck overlooking all of Bondi, always a fun conversation begging for an addition, a book exchange filled with truly great reads, getting lost and helping each other navigate the huge maze of a building, foreign language practice, and, most importantly of all- it's spectacularly well kept and CLEAN. Yes, please. Thanks ever so much.

Not too shabby a location, eh?

2 comments:

  1. All this was at Bondi?? Why did I think it was a beach only??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bondi is a suburb of Sydney, though most people only hear the name when it's referencing the beach!

      Delete