27 October 2013

mental health


Heading down Wombat Hill into town

Pausing for a swing break

There's a core group of girls that are VIPs in the Hewat family, and a few of them have been having a tough time lately. Really traumatic and life-changing. They took last Friday off of school, and we all had a do whatever, dance whatever, sing whatever, go wherever day. Started off making banana coconut muffins for breakfast and having a ridiculously loud dance party in the kitchen, then strolled into town to check out some books at the library, look at weird things in the op shop, pick up a few movies, and grab some groceries and movie snacks (rainbow popcorn is apparently the thing to munch on these days). Everyone started out pretty subdued and melancholy in the morning (that kitchen dance party was pretty much a party of one, with them rolling their eyes at me doing Lady Gaga impressions), but by the time we got back home they were in much higher spirits. We attempted to make friendship bracelets only to give up and plait the thread, then settled in for a cuddle and a movie. I feel so honored that they feel safe and loved enough in my presence to request a day off with me, and was more than happy to try my best to infuse some love and happiness into their psyches. Sadly Miranda had other plans that evening, but Pasca and Maéve and I spent the night intertwined in bed and woke up joyful and hopeful.
Life is hard for everyone at times, even when you're ten years old, and sometimes the best thing is a day free from your normal routine and worries. So glad that the girls and their parents can understand that and let it happen when it's needed most.


Miranda, me, Maéve and Pasca enjoying Teen Beach Movie






Our Family by Maéve: Brooke, herself, Pasca, Giordi (her little brother), Benson, Darius (ever the moody teenager), Sarah, Carly (her mom), and Papa (Sarah's dad, grandfather figure to all the kid's friends)



2 comments:

  1. I like that quilt you're all cuddled under! Leave it to me to discover that! Plus I like the family drawing, but I have to say, at first glance I thought you had a mustache!! Of course I know that's not true. And I like all the expressions on everyones faces. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah's mom is a quilter, there are a bunch around the house! So nice to snuggle up in.

      Delete